In her view, cloud computing starts with workloads being assigned to connections, software and services, which are accessed over a network of servers and connections in various locations, collectively known as “the cloud.” Using a thin client or other access point, like an iPhone or laptop, users can access the cloud for resources on demand. The evolutionary steps are:
- Users deploy virtual machines (VMs) for testing and development;
- VMs are then employed for server consolidation in production environments;
- Datacenter resources are then aggregated, virtualizing the entire center;
- Automation of all aggregated workloads; and finally
- Datacenter are finally seen as virtual resources of the "cloud"