Photo credit: Shutterstock
Over the past few years, the use of artificial intelligence has expanded more rapidly than many of us could have imagined. While this may invoke fear and dread in some, these relatively new technology applications are clearly delivering real value to our global society. This value is generally seen in four distinct areas:
- Efficiency - Delivering consistent and low-cost performance by characterizing routine activities with well-defined rules, procedures and criteria
- Expertise - augment human sensing and decision making with advice and implementation support based on historical analysis
- Effectiveness – improve the overall ability of workers and companies by improving coordination and communication across interconnected activities
- Innovation - enhance human creativity and ideation by identifying alternatives and optimizing recommendations.
Impressive innovations in big data algorithms have also added fuel to the explosive growth of AI. The mostimportant of these algorithm categories include:
- Crunchers. algorithms use small repetitive steps guided with simple rules to number crunch a complex problem.
- Guides. These algorithms guide us on how to best navigate a policy, process, or workflow based on historic actions that were successful
- Advisors. These algorithms advise us on our best options by providing us with predictions, rankings, and likelihood-of-success based on historic patterns
- Predictors. These algorithms predict future human behaviors and events by using small repeatable decisions and judgments that interpret historic behaviors and events
- Tacticians. These algorithms tactically anticipate short-term behaviors and react accordingly
- Strategists. These algorithms strategically anticipate behaviors and plan accordingly
- Lifters. These algorithms help us by automating our mundane and repetitive work freeing us to do what we’ve been hired to do
- Partners. They have a large amount of subject matter expertise in our area allowing us to be more productive and more focused
- Okays. They are useful for business planning, strategic change, and culture change.due to an ability to building the big picture through deep analysis and looking at things from all angles
- Supervisors. These algorithms orchestrate human activity other AI algorithms to help in meeting strategic long-term objectives
- Doctors at PennMedicine's heart failure and transplant program that improved heart health by identifying patients who require proactive treatment.
- The "Collaborative Cancer Cloud" at Oregon Health and Science University allows hospitals to securely share patient genomic data in order to look for new ways of determining overall health
- Using data from US Geological Survey to train models that can be used to detect "data outliers" in real-time which can be very useful in detecting unusual seismic behaviors and forecasting intense earthquakes
get free updates by email or RSS - © Copyright Kevin L. Jackson 2016)