On Wednesday, 9 September 2009 the Network Centric Operations Industry Consortium (NCOIC) Technical Council formally approved the creation of a Cloud Computing Working Group (CCWG). Organizationally this new working group will operate as part of the Specialized Frameworks Functional Team.
( Thank you. If you enjoyed this article, get free updates by email or RSS - KLJ )
The initial CCWG charter provides the following direction to the group:
- Collaboration & engagement with government Cloud activities, standard bodies, vendors and NCOIC member companies to look at standards-based Cloud Computing to achieve capabilities such as peer-to-peer interoperability, improved usability and trust of the cloud, and portability across clouds.
- Document current state of best practices, architectures and blue prints for commercially-available implementations, including examining security implications and how to implement an internal cloud.
- “Infrastructure cloud" standards to develop consensus across vendors to reduce lock-in to a given vendor or platform.
- Develop Net-Centric Patterns on well developed instances
- Layered Quality of Service for Cloud Computing
- Explore the effects between the cloud computing paradigm and other NCOIC deliverables like NIF, NCAT etc., including adding our Cloud Computing taxonomy to the NCOIC Lexicon.
Kevin Jackson (Dataline, LLC) will serve as the groups interim chairman while Robert Marcus (SRI International) was designated as the interim Vice-Chairman. Formal elections for all leadership positions will be scheduled within the month.
The CCWG is enjoying strong NCOIC membership support with a roster that includes representation from the following companies:
- BAE Systems
- Cisco Systems
- Dataline, LLC
- Harris Corporation
- Lockheed Martin Corporation
- OASD(NII) / DoD CIO
- SRI International
- The MITRE Corporation
For additional information, feel free to contact any of the following: